Sunday 27 March 2016

Matte lips - the Bourjois edition

Bottom right is actually a Color Boost pencil which I'll review separately.
Greetings Sparkles!!



I hope everyone had a fantastic Easter Sunday, but perhaps after the chocolate overload you'd like to perfect your pout today in order to dissuade yourself from ruining it with more morsels of delicious temptation.


In that case, look no further than your local Bourjois stand to achieve the 90s matte lip look which we saw all over the recent fashion shows. For those of you on Instagram you'll have seen that I received a selection of surplus testers from my sister's pal who works in a UK high street pharmacy chain. Unsponsored, but who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth - some of those items I already own in a different colour, others will be entirely new.


One of the first items I was keen to see were the Bourjois Rouge Velvets. I have had two of these since Christmas in a bright red (Hot pepper) and a deeper colour (Red-volution) as a result of a free gift set in Boots - and buying the second one! I picked up two more shades which I probably wouldn't have bought in store, yet I love them both for very different reasons.


Don't Pink of It!*

Being slightly aware of my less than mega watt teeth, I tend to shy away from the pale pinks which have been floating around FOREVER!!! Hence I was glad to pick this up for a trial without dropping pennies on something I later discovered I hated. Actually I found the colour a lot less "Barbie" than I had feared and can see this becoming a bit of a go to for a work lip in the summer. Just a little brightening but nothing "in your face".


Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet - Don't Pink of It!
Plum plum girl*



I am a fan of a vampy lip but recently with the aforementioned 90s trend I've found it hard to get something that's properly purple in undertone rather than reddish / brown / brick. The search is over - I have to say trialling the staying power as I wandered around Tesco felt a bit dressed up, but in all the right ways. If you're a little bolder in the lip front than I, this could definitely be a day look but it's likely to remain the reserve of the "day to night" catalyst for me.



Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet - Plum plum girl


Overall


I really like the formulation - it's not overly drying for a matte, although you will feel it a little after six hours or so, and it's very long lasting given the comfort. I applied at 12pm, had a late lunch and drink, reapplied around 5pm and then continued through dinner and drinks without reapplying (this was at home, had I been out I would have reapplied) however there was a lot of product left to remove come bed time.




More information is available here and you can see them on Superdrug's website here - they sell for around £9, but are often on 3 for 2 or buy one get one half price if you keep an eye out.


I also have a Rouge Edition Glossy lipstick, but I have to say the Velvet version is definitely my preferred option. Somehow I find the glossy one more irritating on my lips (although that was midwinter so perhaps not a fair comparison).




Have you tried these lippies? What's your verdict on velvet kisses?




Til next time Sparkles - love, hugs and 90s vibes




xx Josephine xx






While I have yet to reach the heady heights of interest from sponsors, products indicated with a * were not bought and paid for by my own fair hand, or that of a friend or relation.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...